Bird spikes ideas?

I’m glad this post has gone from good pics and info to a bunch of old blokes who are paranoid and don’t know how to protect themselves online. Funny stuff…

Carry on gentleman. Just pointing out a bunch of photos…

Just another day at their office, apparently… :roll_eyes:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-07/facebook-bug-switched-millions-of-privacy-settings-to-public

2 Likes

@jasonb2909 - one is not paranoid, if people are actually after you…

1 Like

And we all know Facebook is after everything. LOL

1 Like

we might be old but we can teach you a lot about the weather station hardware , perhaps our generation didn’t have the plug and play and go perhaps most of my generation had to grab a wire to see if it was live or not …, so show some respect you cant teach an old dog new tricks … FWIW facebook is just an amusement how someone takes its has a must have probably leads a very very unsociable lifestyle. and i cant stand sitting in a room with people who have there heads and snigger at there phones all the time. its good to talk its good to learn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Facebook has its uses. Support for WeatherFlow, especially from a third-party, is not a good use.

what the like button ? 10years ago facebook was a lifeline for me to keep in touch with friends back home in the UK i could see them move on in life, get married,have children or sadly someone past away but today its full news ,politics and other irrelevant shite about anyone I know… its all irrelevant and well im glad to say i do not have any facebooks apps or bookmarks on any device or computer i own…my social media activity is twitter once a week at the most… if i want the news ill,turn on the tv or buy a newspaper …

1 Like

We think experimentation is great and encourage the group to share findings. There is a very sensitive haptic sensor under the cap of the SKY. The noted zip tie technique should not adversely affect the performance…but time and data will tell.

Another approach we have found some success with is adding simple reflective stickers to the cap of SKY. We’re currently looking to source metallic based stickers that will survive in harsh outdoor conditions for a long time. Placing an old CD shiny side up in close proximity can work wonders as mentioned previous by @weather34 (corrected) .

16%20PM

3 Likes

How about custom reflective stickers with the WF logo as the hologram? I’d buy one or two for my car!!!

Damn Seagulls.

3 Likes

20180610_113720_resized
Trying out the cd trick, plus some reflective tape on mast.

3 Likes

Excellent. Let us know whether the CD trick helps. If nothing else, the birds will have something to listen to up there.

4 Likes

Any concern that the addition of a potentially insulating sticker will affect the rain sensor? Isn’t the haptic sensor in the head of the unit? Just checking before I stick something on top.

Should not be much impact as long as the sticker is very thin.

1 Like

Remember that the solar/UV sensor is up there as well!!!

1 Like

Ok - thanks! On the lookout for metallic reflective stickers now. Maybe as a future product enhancement make the top of the unit reflective.

https://www.amazon.com/ShurTech-284039-Prism-Mini-Squares/dp/B00II5BE04

How wide is the ring around the edge of the Sky? I wonder if this stuff is weatherproof???

@vreihen
Not sure but I would think Duck tape adhesive is too thick. I haven’t used that particular version but if it’s like regular Duck tape I’d be afraid it would insulate light rain.

you have several beta sky’s , do they match regarding rain sensing ?

If so you could test on one and see if it changes much the result.

@les_jeanne - I was thinking of a pin stripe around the outside edge of the ring, to see if just a shiny edge would deter avian visitors without having to put anything on top of the Sky where it would certainly interfere with the rain/solar/UV sensors.

@eric - This is something that really needs to be tested in the jig under falling couscous. I have seen enough variability with two rain gauges spaced this closely together where I would not consider any tests that I could perform locally as authoritative:

17%20PM

2 Likes

The answer to my own question is that the edge around the top cover of the Sky is slightly more than 3/4 inches (19mm), and this tape fit nicely. I’m not sure if it is a thin foil or just a fancy sellotape (scotch tape), but it has been on my Sky for over a week in rain and heat without peeling off:

I’m lucky enough to not have bird problems, so I cannot say if/how well it will work to deter avian visitors. Maybe a few vertical strips on the main body will enhance the bird-scaring effect…

6 Likes