Battery backup for tempest

I’m just waiting for @WeatherFlowStaff to reply so I know what I want to do. I’m not greedy or anything and I’m happy with their updates. I have enough big power banks that have fast charging on them. So you can understand why I’m wondering what they actually plan on giving us.

Nope, definitely makes sense. I guess the number of Storm & Fire kit backers is probably quite small compared to the number of regular Tempest backers, so most people are going to benefit from the $40 “free gift” battery back-up. For you though I can see the confusion. Unless you are going to get two battery back-ups… one now (assuming you don’t get expedited shipping) and one with the rest of the Storm & Fire kit.

1 Like

Eh? Most of our weather activity is during winter when the storms roll in!

4 Likes

I see must be different. Winter for me here in Australia, especially Melbourne is uneventful.

@93ben Yes, you’d be getting a Hub battery backup ahead of your Pro Hub + battery backup as part of your Storm & Fire Ready Kit perk.

@palmhead5 This is a free gift we are giving our international backers because they’ve had to wait much longer for their Tempest. We aren’t planning on sending the gift until November along with their perk.

While a battery backup accessory is not yet available in our store, you can purchase any adequate external power bank to use during an extended power outage if you need one. The hub requires a minimum 5 Watt (1 Amp @ 5 volts) power supply. Make sure the power bank you select has pass through charging ability, meaning it will charge itself (from the wall) at the same time it powers the Hub. For reference, a 10,000mAh battery capacity can power the Hub for over 72 hours.

6 Likes

Will there eventually be a battery backup accessory for the Actual Tempest Device (out on the pole mount)? — that is — when / where there is not enough direct sunlight to charge the device, and keep Tempest “afloat” from falling to or below 2.35v.

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up. So that leads me to the specs of this battery backup. Is there a particular brand and model, or is it created by WeatherFlow? What is the capacity of the battery? And does it power up a laptop via AC? All I know about this device is that it lasts 7 days without mains power with the Hub.

I’m pretty sure no normal powerbank would power a laptop. A 10000 mAh powerbank could keep the hub charged for around 3 days, As this battery lasts for 7 days, it should be somewhere between 20.000 and 25.000.

1 Like

Thanks sunny. I currently own two powerbanks with 27.000 mAh

I have a battery on my main station that will power the Hub for more than 24 hours. It works great. I have my Internet ‘modem,’ router and Wi-Fi access points all on battery systems. I can go for days without AC power. My long term plan is to be able to be independent of public AC power if necessary.

5 Likes

What kind of equipment are you using to get such long runtimes? I’ve got UPSes spread all over my house, but at best, am seeing only an 1.5-2 hours of run time.

Hey guys why are your conversations showing up on my phone??

A UPS is nice but very inefficient. I use a battery system. All equipment necessary, modem, router, switches, access points are 12vdc. The 12vdv battery system can power them for a very long time. The Hubs are 5vdc and consume very little power and they are on USB power banks.

1 Like

Because you created the post.

I’m sorry I ever did that

little nice option down the forum where you can change the fact you wantt or not receive updates on the topic

1 Like

Please take me thru that I’m not finding it

Ok I did a mute hope that fixed it

This is the second wait for those of us outside of NA. I’m patient, as development takes time. I Know what happens in China, first batch all correct, then the cost cutting starts.

Very much appreciate Weatherflows consideration for the consideration.

Also, I did not read many if any complains from those waiting…

Gary,
Kinda late to the party but I wanted to ask about the hubs on usb power banks.

Am I to understand your power banks support pass through charging? I have been thinking a bit about doing that but am a bit concerned about power bank battery lifetime on pass through, running continuously attached to my hub.

Recently had a power outage at home while I was away on business. The hub did not reconnect to the network when the power came back on. I could not check my home weather for several days which distressed me,

I like Anker products but they do not support pass through power backs for their products.