Battery backup for tempest

Yeah I got the email with a link to request it to just get shipped asap without the $40 battery back-up. May take that option if this is the case.

From what I can tell the Storm & Fire Kit comes with a Pro hub and battery backup. The Pro hub provides significantly more than the regular hub that comes with a regular Tempest (as @sunny said). WeatherFlow have decided to now also offer the battery backup to international customers who ordered a regular Tempest as an acknowledgement of the delays they have faced. They will not be getting a Pro hub though, so there is still a big difference between the Storm & Fire kit and this new announcement from WeatherFlow

1 Like

of course Weatherflow is hoping that many people will go for delaying delivery. Because they just can’t deliver all the units now.

I pledged for the Storm & Fire Kit. In the backerkit survey, had 3 options and chose the 3rd on “Get the Tempest Kit now and get the Storm & Fire Kit later”. Then today I recieve a email about this $40 battery backup with a link to get my Tempest expedited shipped before November.

Yeah they would be. People in the EU & UK/Ireland would be going into winter where there isn’t much weather activity and it would be hard to install the Tempest in some of those locations. Here in Australia/New Zealand we’ll be going into Summer where our weather becomes more active. So if anything AU & NZ would be requesting this expedited shipping more than the rest of the world.

1 Like

OK, perhaps I am missing something here. From the latest shipping announcement WeatherFlow have indicated that for international customers their Tempest Complete System will also come with their $40 battery back-up, and shipping is expected to start early November.

Are you saying that there is also another option that was not included in the announcement where you can say no to the $40 battery backup and get the Tempest shipped even sooner? I am not waiting for a Tempest so I haven’t seen these emails!

Yeah…

Ah I see now! It makes a lot more sense

1 Like

I’m just waiting for @WeatherFlowStaff to reply so I know what I want to do. I’m not greedy or anything and I’m happy with their updates. I have enough big power banks that have fast charging on them. So you can understand why I’m wondering what they actually plan on giving us.

Nope, definitely makes sense. I guess the number of Storm & Fire kit backers is probably quite small compared to the number of regular Tempest backers, so most people are going to benefit from the $40 “free gift” battery back-up. For you though I can see the confusion. Unless you are going to get two battery back-ups… one now (assuming you don’t get expedited shipping) and one with the rest of the Storm & Fire kit.

1 Like

Eh? Most of our weather activity is during winter when the storms roll in!

4 Likes

I see must be different. Winter for me here in Australia, especially Melbourne is uneventful.

@93ben Yes, you’d be getting a Hub battery backup ahead of your Pro Hub + battery backup as part of your Storm & Fire Ready Kit perk.

@palmhead5 This is a free gift we are giving our international backers because they’ve had to wait much longer for their Tempest. We aren’t planning on sending the gift until November along with their perk.

While a battery backup accessory is not yet available in our store, you can purchase any adequate external power bank to use during an extended power outage if you need one. The hub requires a minimum 5 Watt (1 Amp @ 5 volts) power supply. Make sure the power bank you select has pass through charging ability, meaning it will charge itself (from the wall) at the same time it powers the Hub. For reference, a 10,000mAh battery capacity can power the Hub for over 72 hours.

6 Likes

Will there eventually be a battery backup accessory for the Actual Tempest Device (out on the pole mount)? — that is — when / where there is not enough direct sunlight to charge the device, and keep Tempest “afloat” from falling to or below 2.35v.

2 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up. So that leads me to the specs of this battery backup. Is there a particular brand and model, or is it created by WeatherFlow? What is the capacity of the battery? And does it power up a laptop via AC? All I know about this device is that it lasts 7 days without mains power with the Hub.

I’m pretty sure no normal powerbank would power a laptop. A 10000 mAh powerbank could keep the hub charged for around 3 days, As this battery lasts for 7 days, it should be somewhere between 20.000 and 25.000.

1 Like

Thanks sunny. I currently own two powerbanks with 27.000 mAh

I have a battery on my main station that will power the Hub for more than 24 hours. It works great. I have my Internet ‘modem,’ router and Wi-Fi access points all on battery systems. I can go for days without AC power. My long term plan is to be able to be independent of public AC power if necessary.

5 Likes

What kind of equipment are you using to get such long runtimes? I’ve got UPSes spread all over my house, but at best, am seeing only an 1.5-2 hours of run time.

Hey guys why are your conversations showing up on my phone??