Backdated UDP `obs_st` messages

Typically rssi is around -75.

1 Like

I see the late observations from your Tempest. The late transmissions are happening because there is traffic on the 915mhz band when we attempt to transmit the data. Rather than interfering with whatever is currently using the band the Tempest will wait until the next transmission window to send the data.

4 Likes

This is starting to make sense. As you can imagine, I have quite the weather station farm around the house. Most operate at 433 MHz, but the Davis stations operate at 915 MHz. The intermittent nature of the problem may be due to their frequency hopping.

Waiting so long to transmit seems rather severe. Why not just wait a random length of time, then try again?

Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

We thought about doing a random backoff but decided to use a less aggressive approach.

The 915 MHz band is only going to get more crowded. I would encourage your RF engineers to plan on a frequency hopping approach. It appears that interference has bitten me, and I live in a very rural area.

Just my $0.02.

2 Likes

My vote is a random backoff. I have both a Davis wireless FHSS station and two dozen chatty Z-Wave devices clobbering the 900 Mhz ISM band in my house…

1 Like

Random backoff and frequency hopping is so 1941 according to Hedy Lamar…but yes. You can’t assume you own an unregulated spectrum. As more and more folks buy your gear this will become more of a problem in residential areas, given how good the range sensor=>hub has been.

And wired ethernet on the Hub. And 5GHz radio support. But we’ve brought that up for years now.

3 Likes