ArchiveSW - Display & Data Archive Storage

More to come as time permits. The automatic updates are a feature that all like. Now that all the internal structure changes are done it should be very smooth.

2 Likes

for some reason the nightly cron didn’t give an update and when I did manually this morning, the sql connection stays open (writing db sversion data if I remember) and in server.log

2018-12-04 07:11:50 UpdateFiles Error
Error: Command failed: node /home/eric/archivesw/updatefiles.js
/home/eric/archivesw/updatefiles.js:139
			    let theFile = JSON.parse(a[0]);
			                              ^

TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of null
    at ReadStream.stream.on.data (/home/eric/archivesw/updatefiles.js:139:34)
    at emitOne (events.js:116:13)
    at ReadStream.emit (events.js:211:7)
    at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:263:12)
    at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:250:11)
    at ReadStream.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:208:10)
    at fs.read (fs.js:2059:12)
    at FSReqWrap.wrapper [as oncomplete] (fs.js:658:17)

one of the weird things is that I need to manually restart the processes after nightly crons … else the changes aren’t taken into account completely. I get the new designs but not the data behind it.
this is before I restart the processes that solve the errors

There may not have been anything to update at that time.

Yes. I do not restart services for the very reason there may be an error that will stop your system.

I don’t know why Pressure is not calculating on your display. I have not touched that area in days.

I just uploaded a new file that fixes the error you found. I also added error checking so it won’t happen again.

A small update. I have the sun moving 360 degrees around the arc and keeping perfect time. As you can see, 23:51 and the sun is exactly 90 degree from horizon center.

And as you can see, I have started adding moon data.

Capture

I uploaded new files so run updatefiles manually and you will get them.

5 Likes

Ian,

This may give you a little more to work with.

Capture

works nice except this little ball going into nowhere at night … just doesn’t feel nice and unfinished code.
trying to imagine some other way to show …

maybe keep the same half circle but change the ball to a 3/4 filled icon for moon period and a little sun for day time and make it move from left to right. And once you reach the end (right side) the other icon comes up at the left side and starts it journey ??? And maybe like for 5 mins shows end and beginning icons to show dawn and dusk moment ???

1 Like

That little ball, is the sun. It shows the position of the sun while out of visual sight compared to your position which is at the top of the arc. The shown portion of the arc shows the amount of daylight. As for the movement, the sun movement is from right to left.

When we view a map or globe, north is to the top, east is to the right and as we all know, the sun shows first on the east, therefore, the movement is from right to left.

I realize that the transition from start of sunset to dark takes several minutes and I do plan to add a visual aid for those transitions. The additional code requirement is rather large and will take time to add and debug. After all the sun code is in place I will work on adding a visual aid for the moon movement.

Now, if having the sun shown below the horizon is bothersome, I will add a method to turn it off when it is between dusk and dawn.

5 Likes

bothersome no, but unusual I’d say.
We’re mostly used to visuals from left to right and you use a technically correct version, being the opposite.
Hence it looks ‘weird’ as it is not the usual and you know how hard habits are :wink:

If we want to stay in your logic (why not) then I propose to use some full circle that represents more the earth and the sun going around it. I do see the logic now you told how to read it but it wasn’t obvious … or maybe rather a half filled circle where the clear side would be the sunny side (top half) and the bottom part (dark grey or similar so it is visible against the black background) the night side and the sun is indeed traveling around it.

Data will need to be repositioned but that won’t be a hard thing for you to code, it is more the visuals that take code lines.

Hope I’m clear with my description …

this kind of image but abstract

3 Likes

I have adjusted the code to show a full circle.

Keep in mind that this particular display is built for the 7" RPi touchscreen. Everyone is free to adapt the code to fit their screen. This is the main reason I wrote this in HTML and CSS. In the future I will be making templates for different screen sizes.

The current screen is simply to show off the functions and data available.

My mind is usually aware of where the sun is even when I cant see it and I use that awareness combined with the light reflecting from the moon to know where it is, and where I am in space. I really like having the dulled sun visible on the display relative to where I am.

I am interested in the tides because they affect my landing opportunities. But also the pull of the sun and the moon affect our atmosphere significantly which is visible in the barograph. They even distort the earths crust.

Having the sun and moon always visible is great.
If you want to create clever code then allowing the sun to light the moon to display its size would be a very tricky challenge!

As for tides I have no idea how to do that as I tried but ended up just copying the tide chart into my displays.

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

I view the display in a chrome browser window on a 24" screen and it is great sitting on the side leaving the rest of the screen to play with the database etc.

cheers Ian :slight_smile:

1 Like

the little extra line (even if it is very dark) gives a better feeling of the sun going around and not that the little dot is lost in coding space :wink:

Looks good to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

In space, no one can hear you scream.

1 Like

and it is a little chilly too :slight_smile: not sure the Air will hold long up there

2 Likes

Very cool Gary! I had a VERY old version of your software running and decided to update. Lots of cool new features!

I haven’t read all 754 posts of this thread but I did do a search for PWS and didn’t see anything on it specifically. Looks like you have the infrastructure set up to upload to PWS and CWOP. Is that the Citizen process? I tried to set it up but it doesn’t seem to work. Any guidance?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

PWS is still on the short list. Yes, Citizen is CWOP. Adding PWS caused a re-evaluation of the code necessary to add addition services. That caused a rewrite of how I handled scheduled tasks and that led to even more.

The back-end code is finished and I’m monitoring for issues. What issues are you having and what is being written to the log files?

Ensure the right side of the Config form is complete and that proper fields in the Upload form is complete.

You been busy…

I updated (manually) but don’t see all the nifty Sol and Luna changes - came up blank.
stop all, updatefiles, altertables x 2, restart all

1 Like

What does it show for your database version?

Datebase level: 1.7.14.027

I did run altertables, is there one other thing I forgot ???

1 Like

Run update files again. I think I just figured out it’s an issue with wget.