[Apple] HomeKit, Siri, and Shortcuts

I just got my Tempest today, and didn’t see any feature request to add HomeKit support, Siri support, and Shortcuts support for iOS devices, so I’m posting a thread about it. (I did find the General thread saying Siri support would be easier than full HomeKit, but it’s older and closed.)

There’s so many cool things we could do on iOS if we had those integrations! I appreciate IFTTT support, which is nice, but on iOS, at least having Siri and Shortcuts at a minimum would be so incredibly useful. As would Homekit door automation purposes, but if that’s a lot of effort, at least starting with S+S would be great.

As an aside, if you have Amazon Alexa, give it a try. The Alexa support works very well and gives you a complete rundown when you ask for it…

1 Like

That only works if you have an Amazon Alexa device and have bought into their ecosystem. I do have Google Home devices I use, but my whole smart home is built around HomeKit primarily, especially because of the tight integration with iOS devices, automation, and cross-compatibility between devices.

1 Like

Everything in my home is homekit based as well. I would love to see homekit integration.

3 Likes

I agree too. With HomeKit garden sprinkler control, it would be nice to automate rain delays. Likewise, being able to set other scenes like closing doors if the wind is too high, etc. would be very useful.

Does anyone know what can be done with Siri today? According to at least one support page, Siri integration should already be present. However, I have not found anything that describes what can be done.

How do I interact with Siri to get readings from Tempest?

I agree with @jamesbellanca, direct HomeKit and Shortcuts integrations would be beneficial. For now, I have linked my station to CARROT weather so I can interact that way.

Siri: Smart Home Integrations

Add me to the HomeKit request. Also is there an Apple TV app?

Add me to the HomeKit request also

1 Like

Make sure you are voting on this topic. That is how WF knows what users want the most.

Created a new topic with an iOS, Shortcut and Siri tip for checking weather of your favorite Tempest locations. Click here for the topic.

Been using a couple of Echo Dots here for quite a while now (Alexa). The Alexa app. has a Skill for WeatherFlow and is easy to get and add. You can just then ask “ask WeatherFlow for a report”, or just get temp.,etc.

Thanks - Too bad it only open a URL in Safari though and can’t read the temperature out loud, or read in the value to use in another action. Good if you own multiple stations though to see data from different ones.

EDIT: You did inspire me, though, to write my own Shortcut than pulls in the JSON results from the API and speaks them through Siri. Here’s the shortcut: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/8d6614bebbf045d895bf9b8d47324f67

Instructions: Edit the shortcut to change the station ID in the URL to your own station ID. (Or change the URL to the device API URL if you don’t have a Tempest. If you’re on Celsius, you’ll also need to change the spoke text and calculation since I hardcoded “Fahrenheit”.

Edit 2: And here’s a more detailed shortcut with a more full report. Again, you’d have to modify for metrics since it converts to imperial units. https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/54caba444ea344c18271fef9cc3bfb5a

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Also add me to the HomeKit and Shortcuts request. It would be great to have a way to quickly visualize my current weather station sensor data inside the Home app without having to jump out of it to other apps, and to to be able to create Shortcuts and Home Automations based on weather conditions would be amazing.

Everyone remember to vote with the voting button at the top!

1 Like

Add me to the HomeKit integration requestors (and yes, I’ve voted). I live completely off grid, and it’d be awesome to be able to turn off unneeded appliances, lights, etc., when solar radiation decreases (cloudy weather). It’d also be great to integrate fans, coolers, and the like. And of course, sprinkler system controls.