API Changes for Tempest?

I know it’s a bit early but I was wondering when any documentation regarding the forthcoming Tempest device might start showing up. I’m tossing around the idea of writing a plug-in for Indigo but don’t want to get too involved in it now if there are going to be significant changes when Tempest is eventually released.

1 Like

As far as I can tell that may not be necessary.

It might depend on what you’re thinking of interfacing with. UDP ? Websockets ? REST ?

Wow, sorry for opening up such a can of worms…

I’m leaning towards using websockets, although UDP is still an option. Will the Tempest just appear like an air, so the websocket, UDP listener, etc. would just receive obs_sky messages?

It’s not an issue. If you need any help, let me know. As far as I know the Tempest will be one device so I suspect the data will be combined into one message. This should make those that want Wind Chill very happy.

What language will you be using to write a plug-in for Indigo?

1 Like

That would be fantastic! I currently use a Meteobridge and DaveL’s GhostXML plugin to get data into Indigo with my Weatherflow.

2 Likes

Would love to see a plugin for Indigo.
Bruce hope you will make one.

1 Like

Anything in particular you’d like to see in an Indigo plugin? My current thought is to pretty much just create Indigo air/sky devices and expose observations, etc. through them. I may also add the ability to have the plugin convert from metric to imperial units.

3 Likes

I’m not a weather geek and just want to be able to use the observations as triggers for events.

1 Like

Bruce, there are a lot of interest in the Indigo forum about a plugin.
Pls join if you are a member.

Here’s the link to the post!

1 Like

First release of my Indigo plugin is now available in the Indigo plugin store.

-Bruce

4 Likes

Thanks for the work Bruce
Maybe you could open a topic in the third-party integration section for your plugin. This way people can directly ask question/suggestions for your plugin. Not to sure they’ll find it buried in this topic.

2 Likes

Any chance of adding the Tempest as a device option for your plugin?

Some requests:

How about having the state info populated with a drop down box in the preferences for what to display?

Is it possible to select knots / MPH / KPH for wind speed?

Metric / Imperial for Temperature as well.

Also how about having the wind direction selectable from degrees to cardinal direction?

Great work! Thanks!

Great original question @bruce. I’m learning C# and am using the WeatherFlow documentation to write a UDP listener and possibly more. The existing APIs return different results depending upon Air or Sky. Looking for updated API docs which are compliant with the Tempest. Any comments from the WeatherFlow folks.

Can’t wait to get my Tempest!

I’d suggest you write something based on the published Air+Sky UDP documentation and get those legacy devices handled. Adding in support for the Tempest will be pretty straightforward almost certainly. If you think about it, the Tempest is ‘notionally’ air+sky combined into one unit from a sensor standpoint.

2 Likes