Android App Rain Notifications

I like that I get a notification from the WeatherFlow app when it starts raining, but I don’t need 20 such alerts!

Unless an alert has been acknowledged, there is no need to just keep piling them on top of each other.
Can you please fix this.

Can you give some details, such as frequency of the alerts and the date/time of the first alert and last alert?

Also what is your station id?

1 Like

I think my id is: 2076
So what I am seeing is that every time rain starts, I get an alert on my phone.

So if it rains for 5 min, stops and then starts again… two alerts.
I’ve cleared them but if you look at yesterdays rain history you should find several instances.

Imagine if you got a new email alert for every email that came in (assuming you didn’t have time to read any of them when they came in) In that case I would get close to 200 email alerts a day. That is what is going on.

To repeat this test, simply trigger a rain alert, then pause for a bit, don’t acknowledge the alert on your phone. Now trigger another rain even. Hey presto, you now have two duplicate alerts on your phone.

One other question. Is your Hub rebooting during the day?

If not, I suggest you send an email to support@weatherflow.com and ask them to investigate.

1 Like

As far as I know it’s not rebooting, at least I’m not doing it. But it is possible that they were 30 minutes apart. But even that can cause multiple alerts. I’ll let support know.

Thanks

1 Like

I’m sorry there isn’t a better answer. And yes, it is is possible to receive several alerts if rain stops and starts after 30 minutes. At this point there is no method to change that. If in fact there the alerts are less than 30 minutes, please capture the data and report it.

Thanks Gary, I sent an email to support. It’s not the end of the world, just a small annoyance.
Other than that I love my WeatherFlow products.

Tony

1 Like

HI, Tony,

I understand annoyances more than most (both sides). Alerts is an area that needs more attention and I hope, when given the time, WeatherFlow will address the issue. Currently the staff at WeatherFlow is addressing the hardware and firmware issues to provide us a much better system.

In the meantime, I am doing what I can to understand and help where I am able. I am taking the raw data and writing my own interface to my home automation system and provide the data I need. And I’m having fun writing code.

Hang in with us and hope that WeatherFlow has a breakthrough soon.

1 Like

Hi Tony, after checking your data it looks like you could have received up to 5 rain alerts from 5PM 12/4 to 6AM 12/5. The graphs in my screenshots are in ET (viewer local time) and the 5th rain start is not shown. See your data here: https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/share/2076/graph/8369/rain/2
rain%20alerts

2 Likes

That sounds about right, I guess what I was hoping for is that if there is an alert showing in my notification bar, I don’t need another one because I haven’t yet read the first one. I hope that makes sense. When I pull down the notification bar on my phone and see:

Its raining
Its raining
Its raining
Its raining
Its raining…

It just feel like a bit much.

This morning when I woke up I had two such alerts on my phone.

I’m not trying to be difficult, and to be honest this is just a minor thing for me, but it nagged me enough to initiate this line of communication.

Regards,
Tony

On the other hand, people will also complain if it rains three times and they only get one alert.

Is it even possible to group unread notifications?

2 Likes

Thanks for the input, Tony. Right now the algorithm is simply, “if more than 5 seconds of rain in a single minute AND no alert sent in the past 30 minutes, SEND ALERT!” We’ve discussed making that configurable (e.g., change the no alert threshold to “30 seconds” or “60 minutes” or “three hours” or “24 hours” etc.) but it’s not high on the priority list.

3 Likes

Totally understand. Again, not the end of the world. :slight_smile:
Thanks for hearing me out.

Tony

1 Like

You’re welcome, Tony and thanks for your constructive input.

1 Like

I support a feature to control notifications. I get many notifications from many applications. It becomes annoying and too many become useless.

1 Like

Apple added the feature in the latest iPhone software. I’m sure that Android will replicate the feature soon…

1 Like

I meant is it possible for WeatherFlow to group them. Or a method to tell Google to group them. I haven’t looked at Google notifications in several years.

I know my email notifications are grouped. Slack has a setting that omits new alerts if an existing alert is still showing. (on my android phone)

1 Like

Neat. That’s something we should look into. Better yet: update the notification’s data so it’s still a single notification, but has the latest data!

4 Likes

I think that’s a great idea. Any alert that was before the current alert is pretty much useless as an alert for alerting.

2 Likes