Air Quality Sensor

Sunny, Current outdoor reading of Flow 2 is 26 for PM2.5.
EDIT: It’s jumping around. Now AQ is green, PM 2.5 is 4.
This is a weird day. It’s really dark, with smoke very high up in Atmosphere.
I mean really dark, and it’s almost 10:30am. White ash is covering everything today.
My Flow 2 is on a table outside, but under a outdoor umbrella.

And, I’m not sure one wants to adjust the raw readings on the Purple Air, when comparing to the Flow 2. Thoughts?

26 should be the right value as I think that would come down to 13 ug/m3 that matches the 14 of purple air.

And no, no adjustment needed, but ignoring the indoor sensors seems fair. Also if purple air needs a different algorithm when there is wood smoke, it only seems fair to follow the instructions.

But then you adjust the raw purple data down, but don’t adjust the Flow 2 data, right?

I’m not sure the 26 was a good reading for PM2.5. Looking back at the Flow 2
graph, I see a high of 15, and low of 4, now.

an outdoor value of 4 isn’t enough for Pleasanton. If support doesn’t answer just deal with amazon and have it replaced or go with a purple air unit.
(I’ve been in Pleasanton on one of my holidays, i remember it because some old lady thought it was alright to ram into my rental car, which ruined part of my holiday)

1 Like

Sunny, Sorry to hear about your Pleasanton experience.

I got a couple of emails today from Plume Labs, and they told me try try a factory reset. Successfully did that, but it’s got circle of blue lights, “ready to connect”.

After a wait, Plume chatted with me, and got my Flow 2 working again. They neglected to tell me that after a factory reset, you need to dissociate the Flow 2, then reconnect.

But numbers are still too low, it’s outside, and PM2.5 went up to 16, but now is back down to 6 on Flow app. Plume AIR app says PM2.5 should be 100 on my street. Purple Air reads 54 for PM2.5 RAW data for three sensors near me.

it’s no good. Get it exchanged or go for purple air (or one of the way cheaper chinese devices)

1 Like

Flow 2 working better today. But still low, 84 on PM2.5. NO2 reads zero now, but did have a more reasonable reading yesterday.

today in the news was that “your” smoke now arrived in the upper atmosphere above me (the Netherlands). Sunset was way more orange than usual. But nothing to measure down to earth.

Two days ago, it was VERY ORANGE here and very dark. the smoke was high in the atmosphere. Because it was so high, Air Quality measurements were relatively low, at least compared to yesterday and today. Today it’s considered unhealthy for everyone. My Flow 2 said it’s 105 for PM2.5 right now, and purple because of that and PM1. But inside with air filters going, it’s good AQ.

Sunny,

What do you compare your Flow 2 to, so you know the numbers are ok?
The Plume Air App for your City or Street?
Purple Air?

Thanks

I have one of the few official national stations just a few kilometer away. It gives hourly measurements. I simply took the unit there to compare.

If you’d like some more, we have plenty to export at reasonable tariff fees…

Current visibility 20 miles south of Seattle is about 100 feet.

1 Like

for now just be happy that your house isn’t burned to the ground or worse.

btw import tariffs are extremely high for pollutants, so I’ll have to pass on your offer.

So you can compare raw data for NO2 and PM2.5 with your nearby station, correct?

but I do have to convert the flow2 data to raw first (and pm10 from another nearby, slightly less official station)

1 Like

Sunny, question, how does your Flow 2 values compare with Plume Air app in your city? Or even your street in Plume Air app?

plume air is an enormous interpolation and extrapolation in time from the official data, not from the plume devices. It would be bad if it did, as my plume for example is mostly inside. It’s only an indication good for people who can’t measure their own environment. Currently it reads 23 outside on the map, but my indoor plume reads 15.