Air and Sky units go offline daily (solved)

I’m still having issues with my Sky going offline. It rarely makes it through the day. Sometimes it’s just for a few minutes, but usually it will last for several hours. When it’s up, everything looks great. Plenty of battery (~3.4 volts). Everything reports well.

It’s up at the moment, but it was offline from 6:30 yesterday morning (10/16/2018) until 6:00 last night (with a very brief appearance at 9am), then offline again at 8:30 last night until 5:30 this morning.

My Air has only dropped off once, and my hub went offline one time too. But they seem to be pretty solid.

Are we still having server issues?

StationID is 4756.

Thanks - Rick Comito

Hello Rick

Just had a look at your station, hub is running for 2 days now and it is pretty close to your wifi router as the rssi value is nice, the air is also close enough and should not drop data.
Your sky is another case, the rssi value indicates it is far away or has to come true thick walls or something, in any case a value of -95 means it will have drop outs at least, or worse drops.

Can you relocate your sky and see if you can get that signal above -90 … close to - 80 if possible ?? Or relocate the hub if the sky can’t be moved easily.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response and the advice Eric.

I moved the hub closer to the devices some time ago, but was just able to connect it to a closer access point (had to borrow a neighbors iPhone).

The Sky is less that 6’ from the Air, but there is an additional barrier between it and the hub. I’ll relocate it to get it on the other (hub) side of the barrier.

I may even be able to get a better line of sight between the hub and the Sky by moving the hub. I’ll try that first.

Thanks again Eric. I’ll let you know how I make out.

Rick Comito

1 Like

Hi @rcomito . When you relocate your HUB to get a better signal / avoid the “additional barrier” you can use your status page: https://smartweather.weatherflow.com/settings/station/4756/status to view the signal strength. As @eric mentioned, your HUB has a solid signal (RSSI = -39) to your WiFi network, your AIR has a solid signal (RSSI = -40) to your HUB, but your SKY has a critically weak signal (RSSI = -94) to your HUB.

Best bet > move your HUB so that your SKY RSSI signal strength is between 0 and -80.

Moving the hub did the trick. I tried a dozen locations in the same room because of the proximity to the devices and the access point. Many locations made things worse, but I found the sweet spot.

Old numbers: Hub -41; Air -40, Sky -92
New numbers: Hub; -34; Air -36; Sky -74

That should make a big difference in Sky’s quality of life.

Thanks for all your help guys. I’ll check in in a few days and let you know how it goes. But I’m confident that this is the solution

Rick Comito

5 Likes

Just an update on this.

Not sure if there is someone from Weather Flow did something on the Hub or my change of wireless channel from channel 2 to channel 4 did the trick. There is no offline / online email for more than a week.

The reason I thought WF did something is because on the day or two that I changed the wireleaa channel, the Hub keeps on going offline (green-red-green) at certain time at night rather often. The it stops and everything is fine again.

Hope this helps.

It’s been two weeks since I relocated my hub and I’ve experienced no device drop-outs.
The device RSSIs are solid at HUB -34; Air: -36; Sky: -74

I may still move the Sky to the other side of the barrier to improve its RSSI further, but I’m calling this problem solved.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Rick Comito

1 Like

Do you guys mind checking out mine? All of the sudden my Two Sky Locations in Charlotte are dropping out daily. I tried to get my Station ID for both and they are both showing offline.

Same here. Sky is dropping and going offline for a few hours at a time. Never had a problem before.

I just set up SKY and AIR . I don’t know what going on but AIR0308 online but SKY6648 offline . I’m really tire. I’m done this to much work trying get it set up. Later