Adjust "North" after installation

Is it possible to adjust what the Sky thinks is north? Reason I am asking is because I made the mistake of installing my Sky without thinking to make sure it was facing North. Sure I could just go back up and fix it but I am trying to avoid it. It was extremely difficult to install at the top of my 2 story house.

I was thinking maybe through software that there might be a way to tell it that North is a new direction. (My old station had this option) I can see what way it is actually facing so I know how much to adjust by. Any suggestions would be helpful. If all else fails I will be forced to get back up there.

1 Like

There is currently no way to do that.

This would be a excellent feature request to add to the list so please do so. As Hankster noted, currently this isn’t possible at the moment.

Time to go up the ladder and while you’re up there color in the North symbol for easier viewing from the ground. :+1:

As @Phoenix says . . . mark the unit so you can see it from the ground (I use red electrical tape as my marker but a paint pen would work great, too).

Also . . . best results will be obtained if you point SKY to “true North” rather than “magnetic North”. My true N is currently almost 15 degrees different from my magnetic North.

2 Likes

Is it nassessary to have the SLY point towards “North”? Is there an issue if you don’t?

Yes. The issue is, the wind direction will be incorrect.

Ok thanks for the information.

How can I tell if SLY is facing north or no? Is there an indicator on the unit itself?

Yes. A big white N at the top and the WeatherFlow logo at the base.

1 Like

Does the N have to be facing north? Like have the N face towards north or the other way around?

Yes. The N should be facing North. (True North would be better that Magnetic North if you are able to determine True North for your location).

2 Likes

I would say in today’s world most folks would be using their smart application on the cell phone. In doing so it would be displaying true north if I am not mistaken. I am sure there may be a few who use a compass but honestly can’t say I have laid eyes on anyone in the city ever breaking out one! :rofl::wink:

Not 100% certain on this yet, but I just compared my iPhone X compass with my iPad theodolite surveying app and it sure looks like the iPhone X compass is showing me magnetic direction. Now I’ll have to check further in the morning and post an update . . . always something new to research . . .

2 Likes

Settings/Compass/Use True North - is it on?

1 Like

Hi Steve. @hankster is correct: There is no way to do this in the app, yet, but it’s coming soon. Meanwhile, we can do this for you over the air, to save you a trip up on the roof. Let me know how many degrees your SKY needs to be adjusted, and in which direction (cw/ccw), and we’ll make it happen.

6 Likes

It should be helpful to use during setup the compass inside our smartphone to store N direction.

And your compass app should be calibrated if needed before you go up the ladder. Standing on the ladder and making figure 8’s with your cell phone for a few minutes to calibrate the app is dangerous and you are liable to be laughed at by your neighbors (and household). Not that it happened to me, but it can happen… yeah…

3 Likes

The best should be making "“wroooooom” and then “I’m playnig with airplanes” :wink:

3 Likes

Pro tip: Only work on weather stations (and antennas!) after dark on a clear night, to avoid neighbor ridicule. Said conditions also provide convenient access to nature’s own compass (Polaris, aka the North Star) for those of us in the northern hemisphere…

6 Likes

Best quote of the day . . . :rofl::heart_eyes::+1:

1 Like

Oh, and having your smart watch going off with “WeatherFlow: Lightning nearby” while working on said metal pipe should probably be avoided.

2 Likes