Ability to display water year rain totals

Would love to see an option to view total rainfall for the water year as opposed to the calendar year. For example, if I view yearly totals in the app, it shows all totals since January, but our rain year runs from October 1st to September 30 here is California.

2 Likes

While I appreciate the ability to display historical data by day, week, and month… the “year” reading is not particularly helpful. I want to see the rainfall for our rainy season… adding the data from January through December just doesn’t tell me anything about this year’s rain season… and in February if I want to see how the rainfall is for the season I can’t include the data from October…

The idea of a rainy season and a dry season is not uncommon in weather circles, and it is more normal to consider the rainfall for the season than the calendar year.

I know I can go look at the rainfall for each month and add it up myself, but it sure would be nice to have the app just tell me.

I think this could be achieved by either adding a “Season” view to History, and having an option in the Settings to define the start/end of the season, or making the “Year” view subject to a start value (which defaults to Jan 1) that can be customized in the Settings.

5 Likes

Came here looking for this. +1

Incidentally, this thread is basically the same request: Change Annual Rainfall to begin July 1

thanks
ari

Where I live in California our annual rainfall begins July 1. I don’t know how other counties/states calculate rainfall, being able to have the option to change would be helpful.

The CoCoRaHS water year is October through September so that would be another year which would be useful for comparison purposes.

@user62, don’t forget to vote for your suggestion if you have any votes left.

Thank you for the reminder.

Julie

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out the similarity to the other thread. I’ve merged it to this one even though the other one was older.