Ability to connect to wired LAN through an adapter

I have had too many wifi connection problems. I would like to have the ability to plug the hub directly into a network switch via a network cable. My Fire TV stick (comes only with wifi capability) has the ability to connect a network adapter through the micro-USB port (and the adapter then connects to charging cable). So, no network port would be needed on the device.

4 Likes

I am a bit surprise WF went with a wireless connection for the hub instead of a wired connection which would have been IMHO cheaper and easier to implement.

There have been quite a few posts about how to resolve WiFi connection issues. Here is one thread which may have solutions for you. WiFi setup not seeing my network

Basically make sure you have a 2.4GHz network setup with a visible SSID. I have Aruba access points and have no issues but I have tethered the WF hub to a Raspberry Pi, various cell phones, iPad, and Netgear Hotspot, all without any issues. That said, I can understand someone wanting a wired connection, especially if it could be powered over PoE.

IIRC, adding a wired option would have added cost.

2 Likes

Playing devil’s advocate to @jim.wn1x, let me know when you’re free to come down to FN21vm and pull me an ethernet cable. :slight_smile: We’ll figure out how it will plug into the port-less LTE hotspot that provides Internet to my off-grid home later…

LOL

I just finished pulling ethernet in the attic space of my new condo to get lines from the FIOS ONT to my office. What a pia that was!

1 Like

I wired my entire house for Ethernet. Five runs in my bedroom.

2 Likes

Well, that is pretty much what I have done. Runs from the master bedroom (where the FIOS ONT is installed), kitchen, and garage, to my office. Next time, I will pay someone to do the work :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes - multiple (me included) have asked, but WF has replied that this is not in their plans at this time.

1 Like

Another thing to point out is that the Amazon Fire Stick contains a full (albeit butchered) monolithic Linux operating system, which has device drivers for things like USB wired ethernet adapters. Weatherflow’s station hardware has been based on IoT-style hardware from the start, with the focus on power savings and operating portably from batteries. They are even making an “off grid” Hub option for the Tempest that includes a cellular radio and is powered by a solar panel. Anyway, it isn’t as simple as plugging in a USB network adapter when there are no drivers to use it in the Hub…

5 Likes

I get it that it would require a hardware change since there is obviously no network driver hardware in the hub. However, if there were, the power to drive it would be lower than powering a wifi radio, and would be moot anyway, since the network adapter (if done like the Fire Stick) is powered by the USB adapter anyway. And, given my experience with the Sky and solar power (won’t work below freezing temps) I don’t want to go that way at all. The hub is the single most unreliable wifi connector on my network, which includes 5 cameras mounted outside the house and a sprinkler controller and two garage door controllers in the garage, all much further from the router than the hub. I would pay for a new one with wired capability.

I know it doesn’t make sense, but try giving the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks a different name. In my experience the hub has troubles with both being equal.

I created a 2.4Ghz network named Weatherstation just for the hub. There is no 5Ghz network with that name.

It would not be so bad if all I had to do was unplug the hub and it would reconnect when plugged back in. I could simply put a smart plug on it and do that remotely. But, most of the time when it loses connection, I have to go through the wifi setup. And to make it worse, the IOS app does not connect via bluetooth (at least for me). Luckily, I have an old Fire Tablet that seems very reliable at connecting to the hub via bluethooth. I spent over an hour trying to connect with iPhones, an iPad, and an iPod touch without success, and the Fire Tablet connected first time.

unplugging and plugging it back in shoudn’t be the solution anyway, but I have no further suggestions, besided perhaps have a look at a log file in your router. It might give a reason for the disconnect, or perhaps weatherflow support can have a look.

Have you tried to change the Wifi passphrase ?
Maybe it is o long or any character makes some trouble, tr without special characters.

My hub has never had an issue with using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

I think normal wifi optimization applies. The hub is 2.4 GHz which ‘here’ means sheer trauma due to surrounding houses with incorrectly configured and therefore overlapping channels. That’s just not going to change in this location. Best I could do was move everything that ‘could’ to 5 GHz and also run a wifi optimizer on the Android tablet to try to identify which channels for both bands had the least interference by the neighbors.

I also replaced my old Apple Airport gear with a Ubiquiti AcLite AP which has a ‘much’ more powerful set of radios. I couldn’t stop the interference from neighbor APs but I ‘could’ out-radiate them pretty effectively.

But yes, either 5GHz support or more preferentially wired ethernet has been my request from day one 18 months ago.

1 Like

fantastic, that’s the way it is supposed to work.

I’ve done pretty much all that also. Many smart home devices only work on 2.4Ghz, and that is all that is left on my running 2.4Ghz here. I have a relatively new ASUS router. The thing about this is that none of other 2.4Ghz devices have any trouble. I had the hub on the same 2.4Ghz SSID as all the rest, and when I continued having sporadic network disconnects, I created a new separate SSID just for the hub. I think there is something else going on. Why do I have to go through wifi setup when it loses connection? When any other device on my network loses connection, just resetting power brings it back. It’s like the hub has forgotten the network.

I’ve an asus rt88u router. it looks like it - for no apparent reason - drops connections once every hour. Shouldn’t be a problem for any device, as the device should reconnect quickly.