Dedicated Display Console

How do you do that? I certainly don’t have a clue.

Of course, right now it doesn’t matter because my Tempest has died completely.

At this point, I would happily pay the $100 for a “true Tempest display”. We shouldn’t have to kludge together something that “will do”.

There in lies the problem. Not enough people would pay $100 to make it possible for them to actually produce one for $100. You might just want to find someone who can help you install the Google Play Store on an Amazon Fire tablet and go that route.

2 Likes

Bought an HD 8 last month for $40, installed the google stuff in 10 minutes and run it always on in portrait mode. Easy to read current conditions plus several days forecast.
InkedHD 8_LI

I can probably do that myself. I was in IT for 30+ years. I would still be stuck with that anemic blue & white display that the app provides. I got used to the very nice display that Acurite (and others) provides and have always found this one to be uninspiring.

1 Like

In that case, check out WeatherFlow PiConsole.

Per @gizmoev’s mention above. . .

The ‘wfpiconsole’ is a “Tough-Act” to follow! Nothing beats a color display with high/low ; max/min values color-coded for easy identification. Oh, and don’t forget. . the Sager Forecast. . .Lunar (Moon) data. . .Lightning and Solar data.

wfpiconsole . . . the one-stop headquarters for displaying Tempest’s outdoor weather conditions.

2 Likes

WF has already published pre-COVID that they would need to charge $170 for a display unit, based on a 10,000 minimum order from the factory. Given the number of WF stations out in the wild, the few people who want them would have to buy 25 units each to hit the minimum 10,000 piece order.

Personally, I’ve got less than $170 total into my Amazon Fire 10, a Raspberry Pi, and WeeWX with the Belchertown skin, and the $$$ add-on Fully Kiosk Browser “pro” features that Belchertown really doesn’t need…

2 Likes

Merging with A dedicated display - #74 by ding.b

Closing this topic.

1 Like

You can make your own display - GitHub - peted-davis/WeatherFlow_PiConsole: Raspberry Pi Python console for WeatherFlow Tempest and Smart Home Weather Stations

Huge sale at amazon today on various kindles from a 7" fire (35 bucks!) on up…

2 Likes

I’m working on a dedicated display using a Raspberry Pi and a computer monitor or old TV
At the momen’t i’m using an old 32inch tv on the wall
I’ve not got the earthquake section perfect yet, at the moment it collects data once a minute from one online dataase but when it’s finished it will check 3 different online databases of events and display the newest one always and resets every midnight
The Weather section uses a mix of UDP and websocket requests to get the data and forecast and the weather map is updated every hour

10 Likes

Pretty cool but my Linux distro provides HTML widgets so I have them on the desktop like mobile wall

papers

1 Like

Display WeatherFlow Data on ROKU

If you have a ROKU streaming device on your TV, I developed a simple dashboard that lets you look at your station, or any station sharing data publicly. You create your own menu of stations and can scroll through them.

On your ROKU device:
Home>Streaming Channels>Search Channels>“weatherflow data viewer V2”

3 Likes

I’m in total agreement with a dedicated indoor display. When my 3rd (battery, sensors) unit goes bad . I’m going back to another brand. The Tempest is not ready for prime time. This unit has too many problems and reliability is the pits. Custome service is great but does me no good because of the Tempest.

I have 2 Ambient units, 5 and over 6 years old and they still are running with no problems.

I read this thread and boy what people are doing to get a display.

1 Like

These complaints about no display get pretty tiring. Geez it’s a $35 problem and fifteen minutes of your time to get the web display running on a 7" Kindle Fire if you wait for a sale.

Anybody dropping $350 for a station who didn’t research it enough to realize the product has a phone app and web page only gets no sympathy from me.

2 Likes

actually it is a fair request for a dedicated display. I don’t need one but weatherflow could offer this as an option. Perhaps a hub with build-in display or just a separate display. Surely it will cost more than $35 from weatherflow.

I would recommend Amazon Fire HD. It reasonable $ even when you pay for no adds. I actually don’t think weatherflo could make one any cheaper. The best part is Alexa Smart Weather. I have a simple feature request for accumulated precipitation, I would like people to vote for.

The biggest drawback is the screen times out.

1 Like